Arkansas-Democrat Gazette March 17, 2011
Arkansas postcard past
By Steven Hanley
El Dorado, 1924 The four-story Garrett Hotel opened on the southeast corner of the Union County seat’s courthouse square around 1910. During the oil boom of the 1920s, the Garrett’s lobby became a hub for trading oil leases. For a time, cots were set up in the lobby. Long after the boom had settled down to orderly commerce, the Garrett Hotel remained a popular gathering place.